Friday, March 3, 2017

Week 4

Hi all! Hope everyone had a good week and avoided getting sick! Sadly, I did not, and was only on site one day this week. But what’s interesting (the most positive I could make this sound), is even my experience laying in bed the last few days has related to my internship.

On Monday, we saw a lot of patients who were coming in because they were sick. Flu and cold season is hitting later in the year this time, and lots of people I know in and out of the office have been sick. One particular bug we saw two cases of: a viral chest and head cold. This brought on stuffy noses, sneezing, coughing, aches, tiredness, sinus congestion… a combination that obviously makes for a great time. Unfortunately, this was the bug that I then caught!

An accurate depiction of how I felt this week. 


In general, viral illnesses cannot be treated with prescriptions; they just have to run their course. When this is the case, Dr. Barker (and myself at home) focuses on managing and treating the symptoms. This includes antihistamines  and sinus decongestants, such as Benadryl and Sudafed respectively.  Steroids can also be prescribed in low doses to “kick start” the body into healing itself, and also provide an energy boost to make up for the “drag” often seen with viral infections.



One upside to my ample time recovering this week: I made a spreadsheet with data from the surveys that we’ve received so far. It is really interesting reading through what patients value in  a primary care physician, and seeing how these values have been met with different providers.  Unsurprisingly, one of the biggest things patients seem to value thus far is feeling listened to, and not overpowered by their doctor. So far (and I expect this to continue), patients feel this happens with Dr. Barker!

My last exciting update for the week is a conference happening this weekend: the annual Mayo Clinic Women’s Health conference. Dr. Barker is attending all weekend, and I can’t wait to hear the information she brings back! Preventative Women’s care is a huge topic at this conference, so guidelines and regulations for mammograms and pap smears are commonly revised and edited to be the most beneficial they can. Additionally, a good screening test for ovarian cancer has not yet been developed, so I am interested to see if any progress is shared there.

I will share more next week about what comes of the conference, more surveying, and more patients! Thanks for reading!

14 comments:

  1. Hey Julia!

    Your memes are on point. my personal favorite is definitely the second one.

    I'm so sorry you got sick! Unfortunately, I could not avoid getting sick either.

    I didn't know viral infections can't be treated with prescription drugs. What type of viruses are treated with antibiotics?

    I hope you feel better soon!

    Shivalee Nigam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shivalee! Thank you I really enjoy putting them in (it entertains me more than it should). I hope you feel better as well! So antibiotics only work for bacterial infections--such as sinus infections. They cannot kill viruses. Some viruses have had drugs made specifically to treat those viruses, such as the flu virus, and some STDs. Hope this was helpful!

      Delete
  2. Hey Julia! I'm sorry to hear you're sick, and hope you feel better <3 Sending lots of positive vibes and well-wishes your way! I also am starting to feel run-down by my allergies (idk are you seeing more people come in with them?)-so this was all very relatable. Is there anything in the conference that you are most excited to hear about? I wish I could've gone; it sounds really interesting :D Anyways, I hope you feel better, and can't wait to hear more from you in week 5!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Saleena! Thanks for all the wishes :) And yes it is crazy for our patients with allergies right now! I am excited to hear about preventative health standards, as those are super applicable to our daily lives. Thanks for the thoughts and reading!!

      Delete
  3. Hi Julia! I loved that parks and rec episode! Hope you feel better! Yeah, I am trying my best to avoid flu round 2, and yet I can feel spring already with my allergies. I did not know steroids were also prescribed for viral infections. Thank you for your informative blog post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sri! Thanks so much; I'm slowly getting there. As always, thanks for reading!

      Delete
  4. Hey Julia! Sorry for the late comment, and so sorry to hear you were sick! I hope you get a chance to relax at least a little bit! Your week sounded really interesting though, even though you were dead! Quick question: if you can actually share them with me (that is, if they're not "confidential") what are some other things that patients value in physicians? Great post this week, and make sure to rest up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Korina! No worries :) The other major thing we've seen is empathy! I'll have more details as the surveys roll on. Thanks for reading, and I will!

      Delete
  5. Hi Julia!
    I'm so sorry to hear that the virus got to you, and I hope that you are feeling much better now. I didn't know that symptoms of viral infections could be treated with steroids. Additionally, is there anything specific that you would like to learn from the upcoming conference?
    Also, A+ for the Parks and Rec memes.

    Best,
    Gabby W.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gabby! Thank you, I'm getting there! I'm excited to hear about preventative care standards, as those are applicable to my daily life! Haha glad you liked them,and thanks for reading!

      Delete
  6. You got the plague! At least it wasn't the flu...
    I'm interested to see what it means that people don't feel over-powered by their doctor. As the expert in the field I want my doctor to tell me when I just need to deal with something, but it's a fine line between telling patients they are really fine and listening (really listening) to their problems, perceived or otherwise.
    Hope you're feeling better. Looking forward to hearing more about what you are learning.
    Ms. Cooney

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ms. Cooney! From what we've seen, it's a balance of respecting and really listening to the patient, while still being medically accurate. It's interesting to watch how Dr. Barker keeps this balance, even with difficult patients. Thank you, and thanks for reading!

      Delete
  7. Hi Julia!
    So sorry to hear you got sick last week! Unfortunately, I got sick the week before as well :( But, I am feeling much better and I hope you are too! Can steroids be prescribed in higher doses to help people get over illnesses more quickly or would they only be used for more serious conditions/illnesses (or both)? Loved the memes (again!) Looking forward to reading more about your project in the upcoming weeks!

    Bhumika K.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Julia. It sucks that you got sick, I can relate though, I am pretty sure I got the same virus that you did. As always I love the GIFs that you put in your blog. That Women's conference sounds really interesting and I am glad that you get to experience it! I hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete