Friday, April 14, 2017

Week 10

Hi all! I can’t believe this was the last week on site-- it is crazy to think I have been out of school for 10 weeks, learning so much for 10 weeks, researching for 10 weeks. This is my last weekly post! I have some very exciting updates about patients, research, my continued work at Scottsdale Medical Center, and life in general.


In my 10 weeks, I was able to see visits for over 50 chronic conditions that would require primary care treatment. These range from osteoporosis to hypertension to polycystic ovary syndrome to anxiety to Grave’s disease. I was able to experience the joy in telling patients they were pregnant, but also the hardship in telling one they have cancer. I saw patients ranging in age from 14 to 92, of all backgrounds and lifestyles.


One of my favorite parts of this project was the amazing variety of people and visits I saw. This experience is definitely one that will stick with me for life, as it also confirmed my desire to follow the path of medicine, and showed me how amazing of a field it can be.


On the research front, I am glad to say I got some fantastic results from the surveys, and was able to confirm that primary care is indeed a great place for Osteopaths. I’ll have exact statistics and details in my presentation on May 6th! Any and all are welcome to come, as that is the day all the final presentations are.


Additionally, I will be continuing working at Scottsdale Medical Center through the summer! I will be working as a scribe and patient scheduler part time; I am glad I get to continue my exposure to medicine! I am also glad I get to keep working in the same environment and see more patients.


Lastly, life updates! I am going to Hawaii on Thursday and I could not be more excited. Between SRPs, dance, and tutoring my life has been a little crazy the last couple weeks, and I am excited to relax in paradise. I love to travel as I mentioned in my very first blog post, and Hawaii is definitely no exception to that.

Thank you all for reading-- this post AND all the others ones! I am so grateful to have had the experience I did, and can’t wait to share my final results with you all.

11 comments:

  1. Awwww! Such a cute post to finish this amazing journey :D I'm so happy that this has been an amazing experience for you-it's been amazing to hear about it as well. Have you decided your final product? Can't wait to see your presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julia, I can't even imagine being out of school for an entire 10 weeks! I congratulate you for completing your project and I'm so exited to see your final project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Julia!
    I'm so happy that this experience was so impactful and that you feel even stronger about following a path in medicine. It's honestly been such a pleasure following your posts throughout the weeks especially since each post was interesting and educational. I was wondering, will you be studying medicine to become an Osteopath or will you branch off to another part of medicine? I hope you have a good time in Hawaii! You definetly earned a break from all of your hard work!

    Julie Loison

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Julia! I'm so happy I was able to follow your blog on your 10 week journey! It's been wonderful keeping up with your various adventures over the course of the last few weeks! I can't wait to hear about how well your presentation goes! Good luck!

    Sophia Vaidya

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Julia!
    I can't believe it has been ten weeks. Where did the time go!? I'm so glad you had an amazing time with your project. I will definitely miss hearing about your experiences. I hope you have a fun time in college and medical school!

    Shivalee Nigam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Julia!

    I can't believe that is has already been 10 weeks! It was incredible to just follow your experience through your blog, so I can't imagine how amazing it must have been to actually work with Dr. Barker! It is great to see that you will be continuing these experiences into the summer! What was your biggest takeaway from your experience at the clinic? Hope you have an amazing time in Hawaii! Good luck on your final presentation!

    Bhumika K.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Julia!
    I've really enjoyed reading your blog over the past ten weeks; you explained things so well (and obviously, I really loved your use of the office gifs:))
    Have fun in Hawaii and good luck on your presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Julia,

    I really loved your posts from the past 10 weeks and I really enjoyed how clearly you explained everything. Thank you and have fun in Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Julia! That was such a great post! I'm so happy that you'll be working with them throughout the summer, too! Have you made any decisions about a final product? Good luck with your presentation, and I can't wait to hear everything!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Julia! Another great post! It was really interesting reading about your experience with the different patients and how they were walked through their own diagnosis. Good luck with the final product and your final presentation! Have fun in Hawaii!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on finishing your internship! I'm looking forward to the presentation. Enjoy Hawaii!
    - Ms. Cooney

    ReplyDelete